Monday, May 19, 2008

Fallen Fruit?

I don't think I can count how many times I heard discussed at IIW the privacy challenge inherent in one user deciding to share their social network - the contents of which necessarily containing or referencing the PII of other users.

As far as I know, there is as yet no name for this effect/issue?

As they say, Nature abhors a terminology vacuum .....

According to Wikipedia,
Usufruct is the legal right to use and derive profit or benefit from property that belongs to another person, as long as the property is not damaged.

The word derives from the Latin words for 'use' & 'fruit' - the archetypical example is enjoying the apples from a tree growing in your neighbour's yard (and not harming the tree).

Is my sharing of the fact that you are in my social network an example of usufruct?

[Amateur Lawyers: insert comments here]

No comments: